9/21/2019
NFH Bend Fall Forum (Sunriver)

Advice for meeting with local ranger on rebuilding after fire
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/20/2019 at 1:20:09 AM GMT
Advice for meeting with local ranger on rebuilding after fire
I recently heard from a cabin owner who is in the process of requesting the required meeting with their local USFS Ranger to determine the paperwork and feasibility of rebuilding a cabin destroyed in a fire. They wanted to know if I knew of someone familiar with this process they could speak with to better understand their rights and what is the most constructive way to deal with local USFS in this situation.  

4/22/2019 at 4:28:57 PM GMT
After a Fire: Meetings with FS
Losing a cabin to fire is a tough experience and I understand that the process and meetings you are describing can happen quickly, before anyone has time to mourn. Although rebuilding after a fire has many local implications and even counties have a role to play, NFH as a national association has been working with local cabin owners to develop our association's knowledge of post-fire actions and experiences. 

For example, when the Stanislaus NF and Tuolumne County worked on clean-up assistance together with those who lost cabins in the Donnell Fire 2018, NFH shared that tip with cabin owners who lost cabins in the Holy Fire (also 2018) in the Cleveland NF .The circumstances can vary, but click here to see our After a Fire FAQ and learn more. If you or another cabin owner you know go through a fire and would like the national organization to provide any support in navigating the aftermath or you have questions about how to prepare for fire, please give me a call or email me. Sharon Leach, Executive Director, 800-669-9971.