Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join the NFH
Sign In

Latest News
Calendar

The upcoming calendar is currently empty.

Click here to view past events and photos »

non-renewal of permits
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

7/12/2019 at 2:32:31 PM GMT
non-renewal of permits
Is anyone aware of the Forest Service declining to renew some special use permits in Idaho? One of our members was told by a friend who had just returned from a trip there that he spoke with cabin owners near Redfish Lake (Sawtooth National Forest?) whose permits were not renewed and were being required to remove their cabins. Since this information was second-hand, I thought it best to check the accuracy before getting too worried.

7/15/2019 at 3:58:06 PM GMT
Rick,

I did some digging with the USFS and it does not appear that any recreation residence permits in Idaho are threatened currently. The only permits that may ultimately get revoked are in the cases where they haven't paid their permit fees or are otherwise in non-compliance. Otherwise, all permits are set to renew in 2028.

My best guess is that this story may reference cabins that are part of the Redfish Lake Lodge and cabins. There do not appear to be any recreation residences in the Redfish Lake area.

Thanks for checking - perhaps you can let your source and others know not to worry.

Sharon Leach, NFH Executive Director

7/16/2019 at 2:28:47 AM GMT
Thanks Sharon. I’ll pass this on.

6/10/2020 at 9:59:11 PM GMT
The USFS permit for our 1910 historic cabin/horse barn in Pike National Forest is not being renewed by the USFS as of December 31, 2020. The reason they stated is that it is an "isolated recreation residence" and therefore they gave us 10 yrs (with a 2 year extension) to either remove (burn) the structures and restore the land or donate it to them.

6/15/2020 at 11:20:49 PM GMT
Response - Isolated Cabin
I spoke with Greg today to discuss his cabin permit situation (notice of termination). The conclusion of the conversation is the circumstances in this situation are unique and would not apply to the vast majority of cabin owners. Because his cabin predates the Recreation Residence program, the USFS placed his cabin under an 'Isolated Cabin' permit, which does not have the same terms as a Recreation Residence permit. The general direction of the USFS is to phase out isolated cabins over time, but there are exceptions to this direction. I also understand some of the USFS actions in this situation may be in dispute and would generally not apply to other permit holders.

Last edited Saturday, June 20, 2020
7/20/2020 at 3:46:16 PM GMT
A moderator has removed this post.
7/23/2020 at 3:07:17 PM GMT
Doug- We have friends in Arizona who have an isolated cabin permit. They too have been told the permit will not be renewed. You said there are exceptions as well as some actions may be in dispute, could you elaborate on that for me? I assume some people with these isolated cabin permits are members of NFH. Will there be any work done on their behalf? Thank you!

7/27/2020 at 3:43:30 PM GMT
Reply to Dom
Dom, the status of isolated cabins often vary by location and unique circumstances of each.  The phasing out of isolated cabin (cabins not originated in the recreation residence program and not part of a cabin tract) is a long standing Forest Service policy and we have no expectations the Forest Service will alter that policy.  There are not a large number of these types of cabins.  A Forest Supervisor has some discretion regarding isolated cabin permits.  Some have allowed to remain in place because the cabin structure is a historic structure on the National Register of Historic Places, and/or due to unique circumstances of the cabin's history or original authorization. While there are exceptions, the general rule of "phasing out" isolated cabins over time remains the direction of the Forest Service.

Last edited Sunday, August 9, 2020
7/29/2020 at 6:01:58 PM GMT
Thanks Doug.