Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join the NFH
Sign In

Latest News
How to get a Sign identifying our Tract
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

8/5/2019 at 4:14:35 PM GMT
Posts: 2
How to get a Sign identifying our Tract

Our Cabin is in the Angeles National Forest and the tract can only be reached by hiking. None of the cabins are visible from the trailhead. This area is heavily used since it is at the edge of the Los Angeles area. Day hikers and backpackers have no idea that the cabins are privately owned under special use permit from the USFS. We have ongoing problems with graffeti and vandalism, as many assume the cabins are abandoned. 

Our tract association would like to get a formal sign at the main trailhead that identifies the tract and that it is a Recreation Residence tract. There is limited cell phone access in this area, so additional information  would be helpful to everyone. I have noticed that in the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit, there are formal signs identifying the tracts as "Recreation Residence Tract" with the tract name included. The Highway 50 corridor also has tract signs, but those just have the tract  name. 

We know that the USFS has many challenges, is understaffed and is often overwhelmed, so we would like to know how to begin the process of requesting a sign. Are there standard rules and regulations that we should know? Do the rules change by forest? 

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Linda Eckman

Big Santa Anita tract

Last edited Tuesday, August 6, 2019
8/6/2019 at 3:26:24 PM GMT
Posts: 96

It is common practice for the USFS to provide a tract sign, posted at the entrance to a cabin tract.  In most cases, it's a simple sign with just the name of the tract (example below).  In some cases, the USFS has posted, or allowed the cabin owners to post an additional sign to identify the cabins as private property under permit.  While it's generally acceptable to identify the cabins as private property, language which implies restricted access to the land (e.g. no trespassing) is typically not allowed.

Many districts/forests have an in-house sign shop where signs are produced for USFS use.  We suggest starting your request with the District Ranger.  The "Occupied" sign below has been used at the entrance of a tract, along with a traditional Tract Name sign.  In another tract location "Occupied" signs are posted on every cabin.

Also, I suggest reviewing the Security webpage under the Resources menu for additional ideas regarding cabin security.  Specifically, several tract organizations have formed a Forest Watch program which includes signage similar to the "Neighborhood Watch" concept.  The Forest Service has approved cabin owners posting this type of signage in various tract locations (entrance trails/roads) subject to their approval.

 Attached Images:

Last edited Saturday, August 10, 2019
8/6/2019 at 7:32:30 PM GMT
Posts: 2
Thanks, Doug, for your prompt reply. Many years ago there was a sign inside the Big Santa Anita Canyon that described the cabins, but that sign disappeared. Pictures of the sign do not look like "formal" USFS signs, as in your first image. I personally feel that a formal sign would get more respect and any of the three would be better than no sign at all.

We currently have a weekly patrol of the cabins that we support through our Association dues but I will suggest the Neighborhood Watch sign to our Board.

May I share your response with the Board members?

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited Saturday, August 10, 2019
8/10/2019 at 10:27:38 PM GMT
Posts: 96
By all means, we encourage sharing information from this website with other cabin owners.