Sign In

Latest News
Invasive aquatic Eurasian milfoil
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

11/24/2019 at 6:14:53 PM GMT
Invasive aquatic Eurasian milfoil
In the past four years, Eurasian milfoil has nearly surrounded the shoreline of Gull Lake in the Eastern Sierra Nevada region of California. Has anyone had experience in successfully mitigating this aquatic invader? I have brought this to the attention of the local forest ranger without response so far. Thanks, Butch Chinn

12/8/2019 at 11:54:36 PM GMT
Eurasian Milfoil eradication

Hi Butch,

I did some research on this -- as you probably have too. There is lots of information about the plant itself, how and where it has spread but less information about controlling it. Physical removal seems to be expensive and only partially effective. It is hard to get all roots and shoots and remnants of plants can grow back. I was looking for a government authority that might align closely with the approach of your local forest ranger.  I found information from Minnesota DNR regarding mitigating the spread of Eurasian Milfoil and using our natively occurring milfoil weevil as a biological control in already infected areas. https://www.pca.state.mn.us/eurasian-water-milfoil

A quick list of possible next steps:

1. Call Minnesota DNR to get more details about success, cost, down sides and practicality of using milfoil weevils to eat it. 

2. Contact NFH cabin tracts in lakes known to be infected asking if they have had any support from their local forest rangers in controlling it. This webpage has a list of infected lakes by state. https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=237

3. Consider public education and awareness strategies that can help avoid the spread of Eurasian Milfoil to additional lakes.  

4. Lake Tahoe has been threatened by it and may have some. A phone call, would answer if The League to Save Lake Tahoe has a method of addressing it. I know all boats are inspected before they can be launched in Tahoe. 

Butch, I am passionate about removal of invasive species. I would be happy to talk to you about this further and to contribute my time and effort to the ideas I mentioned above or other thoughts you might have. 

Meredith Randall

NFH Vice President

meredithrandall14@gmail.com

12/10/2019 at 8:16:25 PM GMT
P.S.

I will add only that in my limited research, the best approach appears to be lots of volunteer hours and lots of manual pulling. It has the greatest impact. Then, there are some species that will eat it, and as long as they are not able to reproduce, these other fish or whathaveyou that may eat the plant can be contained.

Thanks for your question -
Sharon Leach, NFH Executive Director