Sign In

Latest News
Propane Fridge Recommendations
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

12/2/2019 at 11:17:09 PM GMT
Propane Fridge Recommendations
Any recommendations for a propane refrigerator? We need to replace the propane fridge in our forest service cabin at Caples Lake, California, and although in past years (the cabin has been in our family since 1955), we've been able to purchase a new propane fridge through the local propane company, they no longer offer that service, and so we're shopping around. Thank you!

12/2/2019 at 11:50:02 PM GMT
Hoping others have suggestions. If I run across any recommendations, I'll let you know.

1/3/2020 at 6:17:05 PM GMT
Yep, it is frustrating when your usual vendor no longer carries or provides what you want. I know that many RV and marine suppliers have propane refrigerators.

1/9/2020 at 3:26:41 AM GMT
Hi A.,
We currently are using a Crystal Cold unit, and it has run flawlessly for 10 years.
crystalcold.com

1/14/2020 at 4:05:49 PM GMT
I have no personal experience with propane appliances, but will share a link to an on-line retailer Gas Fridge Depot as a resource for our members. They carry several brands including Crystal Cold.

www.gasfridgedepot.com

Last edited Tuesday, January 14, 2020
1/29/2020 at 5:47:21 AM GMT
About five years ago our vintage propane fridge gave up the ghost. Couldn't find anyone willing to work on it. I attempted to clean out the heat exchangers and thought I was vacuuming a mouse nest when I realized it was asbestos. Sigh... That's when we purchased a new Crystal Cold unit from Gas Fridge Depot. We added a high altitude orifice as we are at 9,500ft and have been very happy with it's performance. The one nit I have is the inside light, powered by two D cell batteries, is not sufficient. I found a light socket converter and put in a small watt LED bulb. The D cell batteries did not have enough voltage to power the LED light, so I replaced the D batteries with two 9V batteries in series. The new setup is much brighter inside.
Happy hunting!

Edit: Looking at the website it appears they now come with an LED interior light, so it appears this is fixed on the newer units.