Sign In

Latest News
Roof Replacement
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

1/2/2020 at 6:57:40 PM GMT
Roof Replacement
Do any of you fine folks have experience with replacing a roof? We’re in White River Nat’l Forest. Thank you kindly

1/2/2020 at 8:43:59 PM GMT
A moderator has removed this post.
1/2/2020 at 8:43:59 PM GMT
Dear E.,

What type of roof do you have currently?

Do you know if your cabin is historic or when it was built? We've seen some cases where state historic offices won't allow for example historic cedar shake roofs to be replaced, but we've also seen some increasing flexibility there. A lot of cabin owners are putting on metal roofs for fire and snow defense, but some types are better than others and some may be preferred by the Forest or Forest Service region you are in.

Also, as you consider your roof rebuild and talk to roofers, you might want to think about a wildfire defense design that could make it easier to hook up hoses should you need to or some more official product with sprinklers. That's just a thought, with increases in insurance for cabins in the wildland urban interface, physical defense systems like metal roofs (and vent screens/covers are smart.

Hopefully, we'll hear from those in your forest or in other forests in Colorado about their experience. A good place to start is to approach your District Ranger with the time frame and general need; then you'll submit plans. But it makes sense to ask around.

Thanks - Sharon Leach, NFH Exec. Director

1/2/2020 at 11:13:42 PM GMT
thanks for the quickly reply... our cabin was built in 1953 and had an asphalt shingle installed.. other cabins in the area who have installed metal had issues with snow sliding from the roof resulting in decks being wiped out. i have a call in to our district ranger who is great to work with. thanks again

1/9/2020 at 3:23:05 AM GMT
Dear E,

Our Cabin's (White River National Forest / Rio Blanco) roof was replaced last year. We worked closely with the FS District Office to make sure the color was appropriate, which was a big checkmark, and engineering wise the roof would withstand snow loads, etc.

Metal Sales in Longmont (which is a manufacturing and sales site) was very helpful. Please let me know if I can give you any additional info on my experience !

Steven Reed