Sign In

Latest News
Keeping the peace while scheduling and calendaring cabin times
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

1/14/2020 at 3:21:43 PM GMT
Keeping the peace while scheduling and calendaring cabin times
My 3 children now have families of their own and They each want some alone time with their own family at the cabin in addition to our family get together where everyone shows up. I would love to know what cabin owners that have dealt with this for a while do to help keep the peace among the siblings. I know one thing I need is a calendar where from year to year each sibling gets 1st dibs on week on a rotating basis. A couple of issues are: Distance- two siblings live 5 hours away from the cabin and the other lives 12 hours away. Vacation Schedules- 2 siblings have to schedule 6 to 12 months in advance, while the 3rd sibling has no such limitation. I would really appreciate any advice on the right rules and practices to put in place to deal with this new phase of cabin ownership.

Last edited Tuesday, January 14, 2020
1/14/2020 at 7:05:14 PM GMT
Sharing Your Cabin within the family and freinds
https://sites.google.com/site/karokcabin/home

Our cabin is jointly owned by 2 families and each of the owners have grown children.  It is located near Lake Tahoe so there's lots of desire for family and friends to use the cabin. We set up a Google account for our cabin and have a Google website which includes photos of our cabin, points of interest, and a calendar that all can view. Editing rights for the calendar are limited to my cabin partner and I so kids or friends who want to use the calendar have to contact one of us to book dates at our cabin. Our general policy is that each of the owners should not book more than 2 weekends a month or 2 weeks a month in the busy season. This has worked really well and should work in your situation but it's important to establish a set of rules/guidelines such as opening/closing procedures, cleaning procedures, food left at cabin, responsibilities for maintenance and/or repair (if that's part of  your children's responsibilities).

If anyone elects to not use the cabin when booked, then those reserved dates are removed and are open for the rest of the group to use.  Oftentimes, we do adjust dates or swap dates but the calendar is the main tool for keeping it all straight. Here is the link to our site so you can see for yourself. 

https://sites.google.com/site/karokcabin/home

If you'd like to discuss, feel free to contact me at 707 974 5797

Jay Tripathi

Spring Creek Tract, CA

5/15/2020 at 12:49:12 AM GMT
My grandparents and parents always said that the cabin was for family first. There is no scheduling. Family is welcome any time. Sometimes that means some people sleep out on the deck but hey, it's a cabin. This system, or lack thereof, has worked great since 1948.

5/18/2020 at 2:27:26 PM GMT
That's one of the facets of cabin culture - there are multiple solutions for many different situations. I remember talking to a cabin friend and member in Utah who has 12+ beds here there and in the loft for all the grand kids. All of these approaches, from scheduling to websites to drop-in as you are, have helped the cabin program evolve with the generations. Thanks for sharing your story - 1948? How many generations does that make if for your family? I can imagine the family-first method you describe also offers some serendipity and drop-in visits are indeed feeling a bit rare and precious these days.

7/10/2020 at 11:09:38 PM GMT
Jay - Your cabin looks terrific! Thanks for sharing the website with us! Kaye Mathews - Hefferman Gulch Tract - CO