Sign In

Latest News
politics of land use
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

7/22/2020 at 9:54:06 PM GMT
politics of land use
The Tahoe Basin in California/Nevada has a huge bicycling population.  Pressure is being put on the Forest Service to build and maintain off-road bike trails around the big lake and also around smaller outlying lakes, like Fallen Leaf Lake where three or four tracts , open national forest land, and some private land-holders circle the lake.  The FS is designing routes that some of us see as preposterous for the terrain--stretches where no hiking trails exist--, and that others of us dislike because of bringing bike traffic onto our dead-end, self-maintained tract access roads.   Do we get ahead of ourselves or of the FS, by organizing by tracts?

Last edited Wednesday, July 22, 2020
7/22/2020 at 11:20:17 PM GMT
You're not getting ahead of yourself, but it isn't clear if these are at the project stage or just in discussion. As more people discover the pleasures of the outdoors, we continue to see competing uses on public lands from different types of recreation. NFH urges individuals and organized groups to comment on National Forest projects. From your post, it appears that you are well-informed about the possibilities and plans. With NEPA, you should have an opportunity for public comment. When commenting, it is great if you can address specifics of resource impact, as well as issues that affect cabin owners. If access is through a tract road, then it would seem reasonable to expect the agency to take up road maintenance. But in practice, there are many roads through tracts that lead to trails by design, so it is fairly common. Check in with neighbors, perhaps hold an online meeting, invite your ranger to come out and see on the ground how this will impact you and neighboring cabins. Ask questions about how they will handle issues of security if a new group of users is going to be coming and going. While cabin owners do not have exclusive use of the lots or area around the cabins, new trails with increased traffic should be subject to your stakeholder input. The bike advocates can be very strong, so as you suggest, getting others in your forest and area to be aware and ready to submit input on the plans is a good way to start.

7/30/2020 at 5:44:17 PM GMT
Hey I'd sure like to connect with you, as I am also in the Fallen Leaf community and there are some of us who have already been meeting across tracts and recently joined for a Zoom meeting with the USFS lead engineer / trail designer on these trails. After studying the approved 2013 Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit Access and Trail Management Plan (ATM), I found several inconsistencies and issues that we raised with our USFS person. Please let me know where to email some information you might find useful, and how to bring you into this discussion. This is definitely a very hot topic on Fallen Leaf Lake.