Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join the NFH
Sign In

Latest News
Calendar

The upcoming calendar is currently empty.

Click here to view past events and photos »

2025 Fee Retention - Where Should Special Use Permit Fees be Invested?
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

7/27/2020 at 8:13:05 PM GMT
2025 Fee Retention - Where Should Special Use Permit Fees be Invested?

Beginning 10 years after the enactment of the Cabin Fee Act (CFA), in 2025, all fees from the Recreation Residence Program will be retained and expended by the USFS. The bill further directs the USFS to use the funds for administering the Recreation Residence Program and other recreation programs using National Forest lands.

Your voice is important in determining how these fees will be spent. What are the priorities in your cabin tract? In your forest?

7/29/2020 at 8:57:08 PM GMT
The one mile of dirt road from a paved road to my tract is in great need of improvement. It is almost not passable with a passenger car. The dirt road (FS345) continues on for about 3 miles providing access to another tract--and to 3 trailheads for hiking/horseback trails in the Nat. Forest. Over that distance there are several other bad spots but most of them are concentrated in the 1st mile.

8/3/2020 at 7:23:44 PM GMT
Same thoughts for the road into Aspencreek Tract in Eldorado Forest. It's progressively gotten worse over the years and no FS maintenance has been done.

8/5/2020 at 5:12:42 PM GMT
While I believe that roads and adequate FS personnel to manage permits are important priorities, the overriding priority for me is fire prevention. That could be more forest thinning or other things. Fire is the greatest danger to our cabins.

8/6/2020 at 12:27:46 AM GMT
The most important priority for me is fire road access. There used to be one, but USFS has failed to maintain it.

8/11/2020 at 9:49:00 PM GMT
We have spoken with our District Ranger about our cabin access "roads". He says the best way is to have them permitted with the appropriate maintenance and repair guidelines. This will take time and money for NEPA. The CFA monies could help towards this end. Forest fuels reduction is also important. Trail maintenance would be helpful since many cabins spend much time hiking in the forest.