Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join the NFH
Sign In

Latest News
Calendar

The upcoming calendar is currently empty.

Click here to view past events and photos »

Oregon wildfire losses
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

10/11/2020 at 1:48:10 PM GMT
Oregon wildfire losses

Recent Oregon wildfires ravaged the Willamette National Forest and the surrounding communities, destroying nearly all of the cabins in the Breitenbush/Devils Creek tract. While we were lucky enough to not lose any cabins in the Stahlman tract, we did lose a significant portion of the water system which serves our 70 cabins. Is anyone aware of government resources, FEMA, EPA, etc., available that would offer assistance in rebuilding our system?

10/13/2020 at 7:03:58 PM GMT
Rick,

We had heard about the impact on your tract's water system and are definitely concerned about damage to tract water systems in a fire. We are not currently aware of any relief programs for water systems in this situation. At the same time, in the past, after a fire, we have found that the county is willing to work with the Forest Service and the cabin owners on things like clean up. But it takes going to the county to advocate. That's where I would suggest you research first, at the county level. They have regulatory oversight over water and would not want folks to drink bad water. Maybe they have no interest loans or perhaps they would know of other resources.

I'm not an expert on FEMA but it seems as if they mostly fund residential loss situations. Where this is not a full-time residential community, we are all beginning to understand that most of these programs won't cover the cabin tracts. I would be interested to learn about insuring water and other shared systems, but unfortunately, I don't have a specific reference for you at this time for $ or technical assistance. We'll let you know if we learn more.

Best Regards - Sharon Leach, NFH Executive Director