Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join the NFH
Sign In

Latest News
General Questions/Discussions
| 2 | 3
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Read Me Instructions and FAQ Locked Topic 0 M. Randall Forum Etiquette This NFH Community Forum (Ask the Community) is a friendly place for discourse about the recreation residence program.  Our forum is a place to ask questions, provide information, and exchange ideas in a spirit of friendship. We know there will be disagreements on certain topics, but we ask that you disagree respectfully so that this forum remains a place where camaraderie between cabin owners is first and foremost. Quick Start Sign in to the NFH Website Click on the Ask the Community link on the home page. Equivalently click on menu option Resources → Ask the Community or Get Involved → Ask the Community. View recent topics posts and replies or use the search for a topic of interest Click New Topic to create a new post. When positioned on an existing topic, click Quick Reply (or alternatively Full Editor) to join the conversation on that topic.   Frequently Asked Questions How do I sign-in to the NFH Website? Only NFH members may sign in on the NFH website. Use the menu pick in the upper right or the box on the left rail of the home page.   There is a Forgot Your Password button and a Need Help button at the bottom of the left rail for more assistance. How do I pose a topic? Click on above the grid of existing topics. On the Subject line be detailed enough for someone searching to anticipate the content. For example ‘Permit language regarding restricted access’ is much more informative than ‘Permit language’ How do I add a Reply? Below each post is a Quick Reply text box. Remember to click on thebutton. What is the difference between Quick Reply and Reply Using Full Editor? The Quick Reply only allows plain text. The Full Editor has a Subject text, Attach Video field, and full font and style attributes along with an Insert tab for tables and links. Below the text area, there is a drag-n-drop or upload area for attaching files and images. Warning: If you start with the Quick Reply and decide to switch to the Advanced Editor, text already entered is lost so do a copy of the Quick Reply text to then paste it in the Full Editor box. How do I return to the main Community Forum page? After viewing a Topic post or replies, click on ‘General Questions/Discussion’ in the Forum Index bar below the NFH website menu bar.   How can I “subscribe” to the NFH Community Forum? Members can “subscribe” to the entire Ask the Community Forum, or an individual Topic using the Forum Actions at the top of the Forum (or Topic).  There are two types of notice subscriptions. Subscribe to either or both.     1)      Instant Update:  Member receives an email every time a new Topic or Reply is made to the Forum (or Topic).   2)      Digest:  Member receives a weekly email which provides a list new Topics/Replies for that Forum entered since the last distribution of the Digest.   Is the information accurate? The NFH Community Forum is provided to members as a medium to share knowledge and experience. NFH staff and designated volunteer subject matter experts will review the forum and clarify and elaborate content for accuracy using an Editor’s Note. Who can access the NFH Community Forum? All visitors to the NFH website can see the General Questions/Discussion Community Forum page. Only members who have signed in to the site can post. If I post or reply how am I identified online? You are identified with your profile picture and your first initial and last name. There is no visibility to other profile information. You may choose not to set a profile picture and some members use a picture of their cabin. Why do Topics have different icons? Announcements  always sort to the top of the posts, are created by a moderator and locked so only moderators can reply. This Read Me Guide is an example of an Announcement. Sticky always sort immediately below any Announcements and above any regular topics. Regular Topics display below any Announcements and Sticky and can be sorted by most recent activity date. Scroll down to see all the posts or click on the next and previous page arrows. What should not be a Topic on the NFH Community Forum? If you have a personal matter regarding your membership or specifics about your cabin that you do not want to share with the cabin community then use the Help or Contact Us.
by M. Randall
Friday, May 3, 2019
What are the COVID-19 Guidelines from the USFS? 1 S. Leach Recreation residence tracts are generally not considered developed recreation sites, however guidance may vary by Forest. The following description was included in a public notice recently issued by the USFS Pacific SW Region: “Developed recreation sites” refers to designated recreational use areas designed to facilitate public use. Information on individual recreation sites and opportunities are available from local National Forests. Note the emphasis on public use. Examples of developed recreation sites may include campgrounds, visitor centers, sno-parks, day use areas, USFS owned rental cabins, trail heads (although many trail systems remain open), and other recreation sites that tend to attract large numbers of public users.
by D. Gann
Friday, April 3, 2020
Safe to go to cabins? 8 D. La Maggiore Thanks, K.
by I. McClure
Friday, April 3, 2020
Roof Replacement 6 E. McGrew Hi Elise, I had a chance to swing by your tract while at the Bend conference - sweet location and I probably have a picture of you cabin! Send me and email with your contact information and I will see if we can get you connected with some of the other tracts in the Willamette NF -
by D. La Maggiore
Friday, May 22, 2020
Keeping the peace while scheduling and calendaring cabin times 3 S. Browning That's one of the facets of cabin culture - there are multiple solutions for many different situations. I remember talking to a cabin friend and member in Utah who has 12+ beds here there and in the loft for all the grand kids. All of these approaches, from scheduling to websites to drop-in as you are, have helped the cabin program evolve with the generations. Thanks for sharing your story - 1948? How many generations does that make if for your family? I can imagine the family-first method you describe also offers some serendipity and drop-in visits are indeed feeling a bit rare and precious these days.
by S. Leach
Monday, May 18, 2020
Current Status of Stanislaus Forest 1 S. Curran Thanks for letting us know. We have heard that some gates may not be opened up yet. In California, it appears that some forests are working closely with state and county authorities. Keep in mind that if any particular forest or district is restricting use, you should be eligible for requesting fee relief in proportion to your reduced use. Whether it is the state or the Forest Service setting the rules that led to your "impaired" use, your district staff will have guidelines for providing fee reduction due to what is termed "impaired use." What we understood from both the Washington Office and the Regional office was that the permits would not be restricted and use of your cabin would be a decision made individually based on your situation and state guidelines. In cases where there is closure and permit holders are not allowed use under their permit terms, you can request the above fee reduction for consideration from your Forest.We'll post as we learn more, too. Thanks again for that local/regional insight. Hope they open up the gates soon.
by S. Leach
Thursday, May 14, 2020
Question on Multiple Lots 1 T. Price Tim, It appears the annual fee for your permit is the same as the fee for lot A of your tract, which suggests the Forest Service assigned a single fee for your permit as one logical lot.  Also, your annual fee is within a range of fees for other similar lots in the same Forest which also suggests the permit fee is not based on multiple lots. I'll contact you directly to provide some additional information regarding how permit fees are determined. Doug Gann NFH President
by D. Gann
Tuesday, April 28, 2020
Cabin Insurance Program - Non-Renewal 2 R. Rush Great! Thank you for the information and help!
by R. Rush
Friday, April 24, 2020
Water System permit renewal - Delays even by USFS standards! 3 D. Vangsness DaveThe Mount Laguna Improvement Association water system which serves 175 cabins in the Descanso District on the Cleveland NF expired in 2011. We did ask for it renewal but have seen little progress. A SOPA was initiated by the FS that encompasses 3 other water systems in the district and its decision was signed in 2018. Fortunately we have not been billed for the expired permit since 2016. Who knows where the process is hung up at. I get tired of asking.Frank KalinoskiPresident MLIA
by F. Kalinoski
Wednesday, April 1, 2020
Preventing Forest Fires in Our Summer Home Group 3 K. Mathews Thank you for your quick response and the resource recommendations for our Colorado forests, Desiree. I appreciate the information and will pass it along to our Colorado tracts.
by K. Mathews
Tuesday, March 24, 2020
Road Maintenance Agreements with the FS 4 T. Kish We finally have an answer. The Forest Service won't require anyone to contribute to road maintenance, because 6 years ago we 12 cabin-owners decided NOT to form a legal association. It seemed too threatening a project. As a result, the road agreement contract was signed by one representative cabin-owner only, not the legal representative of an association. The association would have given the FS the teeth to compel permittees to cooperate financially, the FS road engineer tells us.Next step: the FS says funding for road crews is dwindling and we should anticipate paying for materials and for labor to apply materials in the near future. We're going to revisit whether we want to form an association. And if we stay informal, at least we'll adopt a policy of the treasurer notifying all 12 owners of who has paid and who has failed to pay into annual assessments.
by C. Breed
Thursday, February 6, 2020
Propane Fridge Recommendations 5 A. Froker About five years ago our vintage propane fridge gave up the ghost. Couldn't find anyone willing to work on it. I attempted to clean out the heat exchangers and thought I was vacuuming a mouse nest when I realized it was asbestos. Sigh... That's when we purchased a new Crystal Cold unit from Gas Fridge Depot. We added a high altitude orifice as we are at 9,500ft and have been very happy with it's performance. The one nit I have is the inside light, powered by two D cell batteries, is not sufficient. I found a light socket converter and put in a small watt LED bulb. The D cell batteries did not have enough voltage to power the LED light, so I replaced the D batteries with two 9V batteries in series. The new setup is much brighter inside. Happy hunting!Edit: Looking at the website it appears they now come with an LED interior light, so it appears this is fixed on the newer units.
by M. Norder
Wednesday, January 29, 2020
Trust Transfer of Permit Upon Death of Trustees 4 B. Potter Because cabin trusts are typically part of an overall estate planning process by a cabin owner, reasons for placing a cabin in a trust will vary by personal circumstances.  That said, a common reason for placing a cabin in a trust is to bypass the probate process when a cabin owner passes away.  Because probate varies by state law, owners from some states (where probate is more complex or expensive) are more motivated than those in other states to bypass probate. Another common reason for using a trust as an ownership entity is when a cabin is owned by multiple parties to define the rights and responsibilities of the parties. I'll also mention the USFS is not entirely consistent regarding their review and acceptance of cabin trust terms, thus the need to discuss your specific cabin trust terms with the attorney who created it. For more information, please reference the Cabin Trusts / Multi-Ownership page under the Resources menu.
by D. Gann
Sunday, January 19, 2020
Cabin Appearance, etc. 1 R. Maycock Anyone involved in owning a cabin in the Recreation Residence program may be a member of National Forest Homeowners (NFH). While we don't require you to do anything in particular to your cabin, we encourage good citizenship and compliance with the Forest Service rules for owning a cabin. Membership can help permit holders understand their permits and the Forest Service, which inevitably leads to members being stronger permit-holders, as well as more educated in their rights.Thanks!Sharon Leach, NFH Executive Director
by S. Leach
Monday, December 30, 2019
NFH Support with Ranger Disagreements 1 R. Maycock Dear Richard,You can count on NFH to assist with information, contacts and other guidance when you run into problems. Typically, we want to empower our members with factual information to use in cases where a local ranger interprets the rules inconsistently and not in alignment with the special use permit and other forest rules. If the situation affects cabin owners more generally, we may step in and discuss with forest-level, regional or Washington Office contacts in the Forest Service.At times, a local dispute may be so challenging that NFH would make a call to the ranger or forest supervisor, but we really feel strongly that empowering each permit holder and local tract association builds strength and relationship locally, which helps the entire program and permit-holders. If you are currently having trouble, let us know and maybe we can assist.All the Best,Sharon Leach, NFH Executive Director
by S. Leach
Monday, December 30, 2019
Invasive aquatic Eurasian milfoil 2 M. Chinn P.S. I will add only that in my limited research, the best approach appears to be lots of volunteer hours and lots of manual pulling. It has the greatest impact. Then, there are some species that will eat it, and as long as they are not able to reproduce, these other fish or whathaveyou that may eat the plant can be contained. Thanks for your question -Sharon Leach, NFH Executive Director
by S. Leach
Tuesday, December 10, 2019
Are maps of tracts available? 3 J. Mcloskey I'll echo Dave's suggestion above that you should obtain your tract map from the Forest Service and keep with your cabin records. Every tract was surveyed by the USFS and the lots authorized for the recreation residence program, even though permits may not have been issued for every lot to build on. It's important to understand where the undeveloped lots are in case there's ever a need to invoke the "in-lieu" lot provision of your permit. My experience is some counties have incorporated these maps into the county's GIS system for property tax or emergency service purposes, but many have not.  The USFS is the official source of the tract maps.  The example above is very typical of what a USFS tract map looks like.  Many have not been updated since the original survey.....80+ years ago!
by D. Gann
Sunday, November 24, 2019
no trespassing sign 4 R. Paradies To add to the dialog above, the Forest Service frowns upon any signage which attempts to restrict general public access to National Forest lands, including our lots.  Since the cabin is your private property, you can post a sign identifying your cabin as "private property" and you may also be allowed to say something like "no public access allowed" or "keep off" or "no trespassing" if the sign is clear that it applies to your private improvements, but not the lot.
by D. Gann
Sunday, November 24, 2019
Camping by the public on our lots 7 J. Primrose Responding to a couple of posts above.  Regarding Ian's question above, to my knowledge there is no national or regional policy regarding the specific distance disperse camping is allowed from a developed site. Each Forest has a certain amount of leeway to establish guidelines or rules for such things. I've seen documents or flyers generated by different Forests similar to the one posted by Desiree above to inform the general public regarding acceptable practices for dispersed camping.  Responding to D. Giebelhausen's post, if the bridge is private property of the cabin owners, I believe you could place a "private property" sign on the bridge, but not so sure you could place a "no trespassing" sign.  As a general rule, the Forest Service frowns upon signs which appear to restrict access to forest lands by the general public. Lockable gates are generally authorized to reduce automoble traffic for security purposes, which is probably the best way to prevent or reduce traffic on your bridge, but doesn't prevent the general public from walking across the bridge.
by D. Gann
Sunday, November 24, 2019
Library 2 W. Schrader The USFS also has an online library with thousands of digital archives. Not sure if you will find what you’re looking for, but here’s the link -
by D. Condit
Tuesday, November 19, 2019