Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join the NFH
Sign In

Latest News
General Questions/Discussions
1 |
| 3
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Camping by the public on our lots 7 J. Primrose Responding to a couple of posts above.  Regarding Ian's question above, to my knowledge there is no national or regional policy regarding the specific distance disperse camping is allowed from a developed site. Each Forest has a certain amount of leeway to establish guidelines or rules for such things. I've seen documents or flyers generated by different Forests similar to the one posted by Desiree above to inform the general public regarding acceptable practices for dispersed camping.  Responding to D. Giebelhausen's post, if the bridge is private property of the cabin owners, I believe you could place a "private property" sign on the bridge, but not so sure you could place a "no trespassing" sign.  As a general rule, the Forest Service frowns upon signs which appear to restrict access to forest lands by the general public. Lockable gates are generally authorized to reduce automoble traffic for security purposes, which is probably the best way to prevent or reduce traffic on your bridge, but doesn't prevent the general public from walking across the bridge.
by D. Gann
Sunday, November 24, 2019
Library 2 W. Schrader The USFS also has an online library with thousands of digital archives. Not sure if you will find what you’re looking for, but here’s the link -
by D. Condit
Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Cabin Incidental Rental 2 M. Norder Yes it does, thanks for the information.
by M. Norder
Thursday, October 10, 2019
Why form a local tract association? 6 K. Shea Thanks so much for sending examples. This will help us immensely!
by M. Norder
Monday, September 16, 2019
Tax on Sale of cabin 2 T. Blaesing Thanks so much. This is very helpful
by T. Blaesing
Sunday, September 15, 2019
How to get a Sign identifying our Tract 3 L. Eckman By all means, we encourage sharing information from this website with other cabin owners.
by D. Gann
Saturday, August 10, 2019
Security Gate - maintenance and access 6 C. Randall My cabin is in Oregon. We also have security gates and have been told that the roads are our responsibility for the same reason noted above. We have not had major issues with the roads but keep a gravel pile within the tract and ask cabin owners to fill pot holes as they occur. Our winters are relatively mild, with snow blocking access to all but high-clearance, 4-wheel drive vehicles, only a few times since I've owned my cabin. I find it hard enough to get the Forest Service to maintain the main access road (fill pot holes/paint lines), which serves our cabin tract, three Forest Service campgrounds, and another special-uses facility, never mind the roads within the tract.
by R. Dwyer
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Shared Water Systems with Forest Service - Need Info 1 D. La Maggiore On the Cleveland NF we have asked the FS if we could connect the small 7-cabin Shrine Tract to the USFS water system in the adjacent Laguna Campground . Despite given an example of a shared water system in the Inyo NF, the proposal was rejected by the District Ranger because the Laguna water system was designed for sharing and the administrative burden to administer the water service.To the DR's credit, he is entertaining an alternative proposal to allow the MLIA cabin tract water system organization to share a new waterline trench in the upcoming campground renovation project and allow the MLIA to run a pipeline from the nearby Laguna Tract to the Shrine Tract.
by F. Kalinoski
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Cabin Tract Self Inspections - Has FS asked anyone else to do this? 3 D. La Maggiore Apart from Roy's great example and the questionnaire mentioned by Doug, I don't currently know of other tracts or cabin groups that perform self-inspections. But the topic has been raised at NFH. Particularly with regard to historic cabins. Where the USFS has not been able to complete historic assessments in some forests, local tract associations have banded as a community and hired an approved outside historic consultant. That's a step toward self-management. When Mike Kaczor, former lead in the Heritage Department of the USFS Washington Office, was on our NFH Board, we talked about whether some historic districts might be able to self-manage through the local tract association. While having this authority/responsibility might put pressure on your association and thus suggest a bit more in the way of incorporation and insurance coverage, there are advantages to developing this kind of public-private partnership in the right circumstances. If and when we speak with further leaders of cabin associations who have been given this opportunity, we'll ask them more about their self-management experiences. Glad to hear it was enjoyable and informative for Roy's tract.  - Sharon Leach, NFH Executive Director
by S. Leach
Thursday, July 11, 2019
Permit Limitations on Cabin Square Footage 4 S. Karr The square footage limits and how they are to be measured is set in the Special Uses Handbook Supplement for those regions that have adopted Supplements -- presently that includes Regions 4, 5 and 6, which are the Intermountain, Pacific Southwest and Pacific Northwest Regions, respectively. These Supplements provide important detail regarding the building, maintenance and use of Recreation Residence Cabins. The R5 Supplement [Supplement No. 2709.11-2016-2] establishes a maximum floor space of 1,400 square foot, which includes ""...both floors of a two story residence (excluding loft which is defined as an unpartitioned open space under a roof) and, where they already exist, authorized guest cabins and garages with living space."  The R6 Supplement [2709.11-2012-1] establishes a maximum size for the dwelling of 1,200 square feet measured on the outside of the foundation, plus a loft. The loft size shall not be included in the total square footage and should be two-thirds or less of the ground floor square footage. As has been noted by other respondents, Forests can set smaller square footage limits, but not larger than their regional regulations.
by R. Glauthier
Monday, July 1, 2019
Historic District - pros and cons 1 M. Randall I think it's wonderful that you are considering becoming an historic "district" under the National Register of Historic Places designation. A few point to keep in mind: Not all the cabins in the tract or vicinity need to be included. Some may opt out, and that is fine. There is always strength in numbers when dealing with the Forest Service or government agencies, such as the county. And yes such a designation would inhibit the FS from removing or reducing structures. I strongly urge you to contact your State Historical Preservation Office (SHPO) for advice on how to proceed and ask them to recommend a consultant with experience in Historic districts for you to work with..
by J. Van Dyk
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Cleveland National Forest Management Plan link 3 T. Bier This is great - thanks for making it sticky! - Sharon Leach
by S. Leach
Monday, May 20, 2019
Sheds 1 T. Bier Cabin construction guidelines vary by USFS Region. In the Pacific NW Region (6) where my cabin is located, one storage/woodshed is allowed up to 130 sq ft. In Region 5, the size appears to be limited to 40 sq ft. with possibly a little wiggle room at the discretion of the authorized officer. The following are the Pacific SW Region (5) guidelines for a shed: "Outbuildings. Before authorizing outbuildings, the authorized officer shall consider the following guidelines: Separate structures such as storage sheds, generators, pump houses, and outhouses may be authorized if they cannot be logically incorporated into the main residence. Separate structures shall not exceed a combined total of 40 square feet. The authorized officer has discretion to make limited exceptions if there are no resource concerns, the improvements or structures cannot be logically incorporated into the main structure and the additional improvement, structure, or square footage is necessary to the function of the cabin. The authorized officer should document the rationale used to support the exception. All separate structures must be constructed of materials and colors to blend with the cabin and other outbuildings."
by D. Gann
Saturday, May 18, 2019
Sibling Membership Options 1 K. Shea Thank you for contacting NFH. Regarding membership, you have several choices. First, NFH allows for multiple memberships per cabin, so your siblings could become Regular ($50) or Associate ($30) members through your member tract organization. We have introduced some new options for 2019, one of which is called a "Cabin" dues option which includes 1 Regular + up to 4 Associate Memberships for the discounted price of $100. This assumes your local association is willing to make all of the NFH options available to their members. Every organization has its own method for collecting fees & dues and while most offer all of the options available from NFH, some choose to limit their dues collection to a single Regular membership per cabin. I suggest you discuss with your Secretary/Treasurer. Individual Regular and Associate memberships are also available directly from NFH, but at a slightly higher cost.
by M. Knox
Friday, May 17, 2019
What do NFH Membership fees cover? 1 C. Randall NFH is a member-based/driven organization run by a volunteer board of directors (cabin owners), with 2 1/3 paid employees, and an outside Washington Representative (lobbyist) and Legal Counsel who advocate for the preservation of the cabin program on behalf of all cabin owners. Our primary funding is annual dues paid by cabin owners. We also receive donations from cabin owners. Our annual budget runs a little over $250,000 per year and our balance sheet is typically 75-100% of our annual budget. NFH provides information and education to our members, works with USFS staff from the regional offices to headquarters, and works to solve problems which threaten the cabin program.
by M. Knox
Sunday, May 5, 2019
Conference Session Materials 2 C. Randall We are related. Son and mother. The San Diego Conference materials will be posted on the website about a week after the conference.
by M. Randall
Sunday, May 5, 2019
Insurance quote? 2 D. Hansen This is a great service that the NFH offers. The insurance agency that covered our cabin under the previous owner, wouldn’t continue to cover it when we bought the place.
by T. Bier
Saturday, May 4, 2019
Retention of Cabin Fees by the Forest Service 2 S. Karr Yes! Miriam Mazel, of USFS, this morning said it will go to them and they already have rec groups circling. But she did say they will likely hire staff to help with the re-permitting process in 2028.
by T. Bier
Saturday, May 4, 2019
Multiple Cabin Ownership 3 K. Shea And just to be super precise if others are reading this thread, multiple people can own a cabin, but currently the permit can only be in the name of an individual, married couple, or single asset trust.
by T. Bier
Saturday, May 4, 2019
Transfer Fee: Death of Permit Holder 1 D. Hansen The transfer fee is a flat $1,200 indexed to inflation. The Forest Service charges a transfer fee when a new permit is requested due to a change of cabin ownership.  In the situation you describe, the ownership changed to the heir so the permit will need to be reissued in the new owner's name. This will trigger the transfer fee. Click here to go to Resources --> Permit Fees page for more information.
by D. Gann
Thursday, April 25, 2019