Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join the NFH
Sign In

Latest News
Adding wife to Special Use Permit
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

9/11/2020 at 9:18:38 PM GMT
Posts: 2
Adding wife to Special Use Permit
Can I add my wife to my Special Use Permit for my summer cabin without incurring a transfer fee?

9/12/2020 at 10:35:02 PM GMT
Posts: 32
Transfer Fee Guidelines

According to the Transfer Fee Guidelines as we know them, this is not an exception and would unfortunately be subject to a transfer fee.  If you recently changed your marital status and are changing the ownership of the cabin, then the permit change will bring on a fee of just around $1300.  If the cabin was always in the couple's names, but the permit was only in one name, you could attempt to make a case for the exception, but typically the permit change incurs the transfer fee.

Hopefully, the Guidelines document is helpful.

Thanks very much!

9/14/2020 at 5:19:17 PM GMT
Posts: 103
The key phrase that triggers a transfer fee is when "a new permit is issued due to a change of cabin ownership".  If you were married when the existing permit was issued, there hasn't been a change of ownership and adding your spouse's name is an administrative task not requiring a transfer fee.  If the marriage took place after the existing permit was issued, then a marriage would be considered a change of cabin ownership by the Forest Service.

9/21/2020 at 5:08:54 PM GMT
Posts: 2
Thank you both for your thoughtful replies. Since my wife and I acquired our cabin after our marriage, I think that I can safely conclude that there would be no transfer fee for adding my wife's name to our permit.